Tuesday, April 1, 2014

7. Meatrix Issue: Organic

      I find myself wandering the aisles of the supermarket almost everyday. A lot of factors go in my head but the biggest factor is affordability. I usually end up buying something just because it was on sale as I know most Americans do. Organic grown meats, vegetables, and dairy have always been too expensive for me as I see them and constantly walk away after seeing the prices. After seeing the Meatrix, I wonder, what am I really sacrificing? Cheaper food over my health? In the long run, being in the hospital is going to cost me more than saving a couple dollars here and there on mass produced groceries. It's time to look at Oganic food under a microscope and really see why the value of it outweighs the consequence.
     According to Sustainable Table "Organic Agriculture", Organic food has a high standard to be labeled organic. They don't use antibiotics for their animals for human consumption and actually let their animals breathe fresh air instead of being locked up in stalls and containers for their whole lives. What we usually get in the supermarket for cheaper is usually the animals that are trapped in their own feces for their whole lives while being surrounded by bacteria that could potentially kill you. That right there affects everyone in any community. Also the more money we give to these major corporations, the less likely these Organic farms will stay in business. The more these corporations are in demand, the more they demand from our community and land by polluting it with major waste products into our water and greenhouse gasses that destroy our environment.
      Eventually this affects every single person on earth one way or another. I know we all can't afford to buy Organic food every day (millionaires not included) but we can make wiser choices into investing in our hard working local farmers here and there. Every little bit helps keep them in business, keep us healthier, and balance out a little of the negative of what these major corporations do on a regular basis. By investing in Organic farms, we do less damage to our own health by not taking in antibiotics and artificial hormones. If everyone pitches in, we can save an Organic farm from being bought out by these major corporations from turning into just another factory for the masses.

No comments:

Post a Comment